Lamar’s Pat Knight Has Epic Meltdown
When it comes to Lamar’s Pat Knight, the apple sure doesn’t fall far from the tree.
The son of former Indiana head coach and legendary hot head Bobby Knight had one of the biggest coaching meltdowns you will ever see on Wednesday night after a 62-52 loss to Stephen F. Austin.
The rant started when senior guard Mike James was responding to a reporter’s question at the podium and Knight cut him off by saying, “Alright I’m next, you don’t have a clue to what it takes to win.”
James left the stage while Knight worked himself into a lather by blasting the entire team except one player and calling out the team’s seniors in particular.
Choice quotes included:
• “I’m unhappy with these seniors, that’s what I’m unhappy with, it has nothing to do with X’s and O’s. We’ve got the worst group of seniors that I’ve ever been associated with.”
• “We’ve had problems with these guys off the court, on the court, classroom, drugs, I mean, being late for stuff, all that stuff correlates together if you’re going to win games.”
• “I feel sorry for this school. I mean these kids are stealing money by being on scholarship with their approach to things.”
• “The main problem is we don’t have a leader. We have six seniors but not one of them is a leader. We’ve got a bunch of followers.”
• “We’ve got a bunch of tin men out there, they have no heart… We can’t play for them, that’s the sad thing.”
• “Usually you have one or two guys that are a problem. We have an infestation of guys that are hard to coach.”
• “When I played, if you acted like some of these guys did, you got shoved in a locker with a forearm against your neck and told, ‘You don’t do that. That’s not how we do things here at Indiana.’ And that’s what we need.”
• “And I don’t think they get it. If you act this way in the real world, you’re gonna be homeless, without a job.”
First of all, the marathon tantrum seemed especially unnecessary considering Lamar is actually 17-11 this season after going 13-17 last year. But apparently the third loss in four games was too much for Knight, who was fired last spring after coaching at Texas Tech for three-plus seasons.
Second of all, Senior Night at Lamar sure looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun!
We realize things like this get said behind closed doors all the time but to embarrass your own player while he’s speaking to the media, rip the whole team without taking blame yourself and suggesting that they get shoved in a locker is all unacceptable behavior and should result in an immediate apology.
After all, if Knight is upset that his team doesn’t have a leader, what kind of example is he setting for his team with this childish behavior?